Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Just Trying To Keep Up......

I have my first Apple Iphone. My son told me it would be "too much" for me to handle and that it's technology was beyond my comprehension.  I don't take that statement as an insult since he might be right.  I grew up with a rotary phone on a "party line"full of nosey neighbors, in the 50's & 60's. What do I know about data plans, CDMA verses GSM, and what really is that "Cloud" thing? This makes me think back to my Great Aunt Emma who was a phone operator in her younger days. Whenever she picked up the phone to place a call, she would check the line for clearance by yelling "HELLA..HELLA?" This continued long after party lines were obsolete.  She knew what she was doing with these newer phones, by Gosh! No one ever doubted her authority or ability when it came to phones.  She was widely respected as a former Ma Bell employee. As children, we wondered why she yelled into the phone when it was obvious to us that there was no one there. The family didn't have the heart to explain to her that technology had moved on. We continued to let her use her Carroll County operator voice while placing her calls. Respecting your elders was more important than being right.

No comments:

Post a Comment