Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Yes, I can Hula!

I'm learning to do the Hula. Yes, me. I've always said that one day  "I WILL LEARN TO HULA!" Now is the time, the year, the month, and the day. As stated in a previous blog note, I have been fascinated with the iconic persona of the Hula Girl since I was young. My family room and garden room have been decorated with a tasteful "Island" look for sometime now. I have a collection of vintage Hula Girl postcards framed along with other Island art that I wouldn't trade for anything.  I have never been to Hawaii or have any relatives that are Hawaiian. I do not even have an innate talent to dance. The rhythm that is involved, in the Hula, looks so foreign to me.  My daughter is a natural at any kind of dance. She emotes the beat and flows like swaying palm trees. She didn't get it from me though. So why am I pushing forward into this awkward endeavor?  Maybe it's because the clock is ticking on my bucket list. Maybe I just don't care anymore what anyone thinks about an over the hill "crazy" woman expressing her self via an ancient Polynesian form of story telling. Maybe I'll firm and tone some things that have gone South without me. Maybe when I am laid to rest my tombstone will say "She could do the HULA!" Maybe I will somehow appreciate what every Hula Girl knows in her heart:  That life is a dance and we should enjoy it while we are here.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Joyce! You have what it takes to be a lovely hula dancer~a heart full of aloha.

    ReplyDelete